A significant Project was finished in late October with renovation, repair and painting of Barn and Annex. Both properties are crucial components in the DJG Foundation’s infrastructure. Martinez Painting Co. was selected by bid and expertise to do the work.
The mid 1800 Barn is used for storage and provides space for numerous Events throughout the year. Colonial Games as part of the Second Grade Public, Mercy and Country School Programs, Newcomers Halloween family picnic, Garden Club plant sale and May meeting, Summer Tavern Night and the late Summer Big Band mixer are examples.
The windows were repaired as well as the large garage doors and after washing and sanding a primer coat was used followed by two coats of paint on the Barn. The eight door hinges on the front were stripped of paint and restored to their original metal. One can now see the strike marks made by the blacksmith.
The National Historic Register emblem was placed on the front of the Barn which is also listed in the Madison Historic Green designation.
The annex also serves the Foundation as it houses the Kitchen, Office and an indoor Bathroom. This structure was added circa 1862.
New storm windows were made, painted and fitted . Repairs were made to the windows which too were painted. The whole annex was lightly sanded and painted. Until over two years ago, this structure was rented and an air condition unit was used. That unit was removed and the wall repaired.
The Board of Directors are extremely pleased with the overall project as it represents the first phase of what will be the important obligation of maintaining the property.